Re: Alarmforce backup

We used to have a line monitoring service available in the US that phone
companies could offer and it was offered by various phone companies for a
time.  The charges ranged from $3.50 per month to $11.25 per month but in my
area Southwestern Bell wanted to offer it at $30. per month so it never
happenend here.  From what I have heard from various guys around the country
the service never was very popular and has gone away.

This would seem like an easy way for phone companies to earn extra bucks
with little effort but there must be some drawbacks I don't know about cause
none seem to be interested.

In the SBC areas they seem to be concentrating all their efforts on
unloading that crappy ADSL garbage that simply isn't worth walking across
the room to get.  Yet their crappy ADSL is now causing me a ton of service
calls related to all that hash on the phone lines that you cannot knock out
without installing an expensive router.

In this area we are now having a ton of cut phone cables but SBC has now
turned this to their advantage by charging huge fees to repair them instead
of making an effort to protect them when they do the installs.  Since they
make money on having the lines cut they probably won't be interested in
offering any monitoring function.