Re: Monitronics monitoring assigned to Apex

Interesting ! I see Jim (Alarminex) is as ignorant as ever, so I'm not even
going to answer his usual invective. Clearly Mark was baiting him with that
last conciliatory post.....good one !.....saves me having to figure out how
to "unblock" someone in Outlook Express...

But you sir, do make some good points. No offense meant, but I've been down
this road so many times, frankly, I'm getting a little bored with having to
respond to the same old industry self serving practices. I fully intend to
run my business to my customers advantage regardless of what the accepted
industry practices are. This may have been an acceptable way to operate
years ago, but informed consumers expect more today and that is what I will
give them. With the advent of the "direct to consumer $10 monitoring" (which
is excellent btw - I know and deal with two of these companies myself), and
the coming amalgamation of less expensive monitoring services on cable and
satellite services, the companies that will suffer the most will be those
with overpriced, long term contracts. Just like ADT, they'll keep their
customers until the end of the contract and then lose a good many of
them.These changes in the industry are coming more quickly than not !!
(which is why it is important that security companies diversify into other
related fields rather than depend upon RMR for their revenue flow). If lack
of a long term contract is so bad, then my attrition rate should follow, yet
it is one of the lowest rates on our station with over 300 dealers. In a few
short years, my company has risen to become the 10th largest company here in
town. I can sell my accounts for excellent value at the snap of a finger,
because they are all well installed and most have been with me for many
years. And our reputation in this business is sound !! Due diligence is MUCH
more than the presence of a long term contract. But my son is now pretty
much running things totally and the business will give him a future he can
take anywhere he wants. If he chooses to operate differently, that will be
his decision once he owns the business.

Different is not wrong just because it goes against the commonly accepted
grain. I don't have to duke it out with any other company in town; clients
flock to me because of it. It's safe to say I wouldn't have 60% of the
clients I do have if I forced them to sign contracts with unnecessary long
term restrictions. And my clients are every bit as loyal as anyone elses
believe me !! Referrals account for over half my new customers. My website
gives me the other half. New ones coming in know I don't discount my systems
artificially, but they also know they get damn good value for the money
spent. We "mickey mouse" nothing !! They get the best panels, upgraded
motions, largest batteries,and ONLY the high end LCD keypads. They also know
I must give them exemplary service or face losing them.That's the way it
should be in business. And that's also why I get so many takeovers from ADT
(who I don't hate by the way...). My client base is no different than anyone
elses except they know they are not locked in past a month. That in itself
is a great sales attraction when it is put up against other quotes they may
have been given. It's a "no risk" situation, especially if they've been
bitten before by a not so reputable company. That doesn't make these
customers better or worse.....perhaps a little more discerning but nothing
else. Monitoring is a service; nothing more, nothing less. If the client
needs it, he gets it. If he doesn't need it any more, I'll be damned if I'll
take his money for nothing given simply because he was foolish enough to
commit himself when he didn't need to. I'll not let my customers make that
mistake, I can assure you.

I wish you and your company well. Yours is the traditional approach, and I'm
sure it works well for you.  I also hope it continues to work well for you
given the changes that are coming. But it's not for me or my customers. I've
always liked doing things differently (it's also worked that way in my other
past businesses....) and I will continue to do so

Regards,

RHC