Re: need recommendation

Ben Johnson wrote:

> Lately, these folks have been getting "visitors" who drive in and appear
> to scope out the property.  What components or systems can I use to
> discourage these visitors?  I was thinking something like components that
> would detect a car and light the entire driveway with movie-theatre style
> aisle lights.  It would be nice to have expansion capability to add video
> in the future.

There are several companies that make driveway monitoring systems for just
this sort of situation.  They vary somewhat in price but the wired ones all
perform about the same.  The systems consist of a buried probe with a cable
running back to a processor in the house.  The probe doesn't need to go very
deep -- typically about 6" below the surface, but it's wise to run the cable
low enough that a gardener's shovel won't sever it.

The probe is nothing more than a sensitive electromagnetic coil.  When a
large, ferrous metal object passes nearby, it disrupts the earth's magnetic
field, causing a minute electrical current on the probe.  The processor
throws a relay and activates an audible chime sounder in the house.  Some
models are offered with an X10 transmitter to turn on lights.
Alternatively, you could switch low voltage lighting through an add-on
relay.  I installed inexpensive "mushroom" lights around the perimeter of my
pool area.  When I get back from Brazil in September I plan to connect them
to an output of my automation controller so they turn on whenever there is
motion in the yard or within the pool cage.  My wife wants driveway lights,
too, and I'm considering triggering those when a driveway monitor is
activated.  They'll also come on from sunset until 11:00 pm each evening but
it would be nice to have the drive and our short walkway light up when if
pull in later than that.

I have information on several driveway controllers on my website at:
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/category_359.htm

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass