Re: Problems with SBC ADSL services

We have SBC Yahoo (old Ameritech account) ADSL, and I get 1.2 mbps
downstream (not sure what the upstream speed is, but it hasn't been an
issue)

We are a little over 9000 line feet from the SBC switch, according to the
phone company when I ordered it. Several factors may be working in our
favor, as well-
-House and subdivision are only 4 yrs old, so all the service wiring is new.
-I wired all the phones with Cat 5 (Panasonic phone system), and ran the DSL
separately on it's own Cat 5 with an appropriate DSL filter. Proper twists
are maintained at all jacks as close as possible to termination. In fact, I
ran the DSL Cat 5 wire straight out of an old cable wallplate and it
terminates at the DSL RJ11 connector- no extra connectors at all, except for
the filter.
- We are the county seat, and the biggest town in the county at 40,000
people, part of a Metro area of 3 million people. Most of the Telcos and
ISP's connect to a main internet trunk line here in town, which runs to
Chicago, 275 crow miles away.

I suspect physical location, quality of the house wiring, and age of the
local infrastructure have more to do with one's performance, or lack
thereof, than the ADSL provider. Try cable. (Note: we had Charter cable
internet when we first moved in, for a year, and our DSL is about 4 times as
fast and MUCH more reliable)