Re: Optex VX-402R Question

<briansgooglegroupemail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1120926518.030325.97490@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> One thing you should know.  Battery life will be substantially reduced if
>> the ambient temperatures are consistently low.  You'll also have to limit
>> the number of times the unit will transmit (leaving the thing to transmit
>> each and every time the IR trips will mean you're replacing batteries
>> every
>> week).  I'd suggest powering the thing from a 9 volt power supply and
>> using
>> a 9 volt ni-cad battery in the actual transmitter.  Altronix makes one
>> that
>> you can "dial in" from 3v to 24 volts.  Watch your polarity though and
>> solder any connections in the unit.
>

> Thanks, Frank.  What do you consider low?  My temps drop into the 60s
> or 50s most of the year at night.  Dropping into the 40s and
> occasionally the 30s in the winter.  Also I have a 5816 and a 5890 in
> an uninsulated garage that have not needed battery replacement for a
> year so far....

Mounting units in an unheated garage isn't the same as mounting them outside
where they're directly exposed to wind and weather.  It takes much longer
for items in the garage to "soak" to the outside ambient temperature (unless
of course you keep the over-head door open).  Parking your car in the garage
will also tend to raise the temperature there above outside ambient.  I
believe the normal operating temperture range for the 5816 doesn't include
"30's and 40's", but I'll have to check the specs.  If you already have
units installed and retained the installation sheets I'd suggest you have a
look yourself.  It might be a worthwhile to follow my suggestion with
respect to the power supply for the other units in your garage but you may
think differently considering your "success" so far ("if it ain't broke,
don't fix it").  :-))