Re: back up coverage when alarm not armed?

"autonut843" <hmjunk31415@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Alarm question - I'm just curious, does anybody do anything like this?
>
> A few months ago some friends of mine had their house burglarized while
> they were at work (no alarm, now they have one).  Basically the thieves
> came in and tossed the place upside down looking for things.
> Now, occasionally, someone forgets to arm the alarm when they leave.
>
> Since some home burglaries involve tossing the house when the occupants
> are away, does anybody recommend/discourage having some things like
> pictures on wall, drawers in dresser, etc. wired in to zones programmed
> as follows...
> Set up either on partition 2 (Ademco Vista 20 for example) that is
> almost always armed
> Or
> Set up as a "24 hour audible alarm" (or 24 silent or 24 auxiliary)  (
> types 7, 6, 8 respectively)
> Obviously if the user always sets their alarm every time they go away,
> this is a moot point.
> But for the ones that occasionally or always forget.  Might this be a
> good idea?
> Have you ever seen it done?
> Would you recommend it?
> Would you discourage it?

I wired the stereo speakers to a panic input. If someone unplugs the cables
to steal the speakers, a "noiseless" guitar cable shorts together when
unplugged and is electrically the same as pushing a panic button to make
contact. Same thing could be done to any entertainment item, portable TV,
computer, etc.

Bob