Re: How do I block a (mains) smoke alarm (so my steam cleaner doesn't trigger it)

In article <1134831151.987435.308480@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Chris.Holland16@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Hi. I live in a large student complex, which is filthy
>
> i want to buy a steam cleaner
>
> Can I just cover the smoker alarm (using a plastic bag?)
>
> Advice/ideas anyone?

IME, that just delays the steam setting it off.
Cling film doesn't work any better either, and if
you do set one off with steam, it takes a long time
before it will reset.  I don't have any suggestions
other than to temporarily remove it.

The small circular smoke detectors used on central
alarm/fire panels often come with a bright red cover
for such purposes. What also works well with them is
a latex rubber glove stretched over the sensor, and
the resulting 'hands' hanging down from the ceiling
serve as an obvious reminder the alarm is disabled.

Mains and individual battery operated smoke detectors
usually have too many openings (particularly at the
top) to seal the units off in this way reliably.

--
Andrew Gabriel