Re: Alarm system comparisons?

JoeRaisin wrote:
> Crash Gordon wrote:
>
> > Nothing wrong with the 20P, I have lots of them out there and find it to be
> > a solid panel. Add a 4219 expander for some extra zones...maybe 6160 keypads
> > instead of what the builder system has (usuallythe cheapest keypads).
> >
> > Can't comment on all the fancy-doo stuff because it's been my experience
> > that people don't really use it, even the few I've done fancy stuff with.
> >

> I think the 20P will also do the X10 but you have to get the Transformer
> that supports it.
>
> But... Before gaetting a bunch of X10 equipment you have to make sure
> that the outlet your panel is able to send signals to the devices you
> want to affect.  Shouldn't be a problem and usually isn't but as soon as
> you take it for granted.....
>
> See if you can borrow an X10 tester.

I'll suggest from experience, ....... even if the X10 tester works
today, it may
work tomorrow, next month or next year.

ALWAYS .... before you take on
any X10 installs, get a phase coupler and a whole house filter
installed.
That'll at least get you to second base. It also determines the
customers
who really want this from those who just want a toy. From that point
forward, depending upon the complexity of the system, you're likely
going to have
"glitches" occur due to interference from appliances, lighting dimmer
switches, computers, or even your kid's toys. X10 is always a "work in
progress". The
user has to "know" this from the get go. And it's always better if
they're the
kind of person who wants to get involved with the systems.