Re: why ground an alarm panel.

> Many years ago, telephones were wired with 3 wires. The 3rd was a ground.

I'm not certain but I always thought the inside ground conductor was
for the old "ground start" telephone switches.  Old timers will recall
that a 20+ years ago there were still ground start modules available
for some alarm systems.  Ground start switches (both PBX and telco
switches) required a short to ground to initiate dialing.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBUrglarAlarms.com