Re: How do I block a (mains) smoke alarm (so my steam cleaner doesn't trigger it)

alarman wrote:

> Oh yes they will. I've found that out the hard way.

That hasn't been my experience.  In several apartment/condos, we've
replaced the electrican supplied ionization smoke alarms with Firex 484
(photo-electrics).  The ionization units were mounted so close to the
kitchen or bathroom, they were constantly falsing.  The photo-electrics
solved the problem and the number of tenant complaints to the
landlord/strata has dropped significantly.  A lot of residential
buildings employ ionization detectors (the result of the "low bid wins
the job" mentality) even though photo-electrics would fit the occupancy
type better.