Re: is wireless mature yet

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:13:57 -0400, "cdn_bcn"
<jonathan_h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Having reviewed as much as I could take in from 4 years of posts thanks to
>Google -- and -- R.Campbell, excellent web site ... is there any chance that
>you experts would consider the GE Simon3 to be a 'real' security system?  In
>particular, is there some way they can justify having the panel/keypad in
>one unit which I would imagine could be easily 'incompacitated'?

The GE Simon is a REAL security system, but one with a flaw you've
already identified. If you are genuinely concerned with the setup,
look at the GE Allegro, which is basically a Simon with the telephone
communicator in a remote location, so if the panel by the door is
damaged, the communicator can still call the CS.

>Unfortunately, wireless would be most easily facilitated in our place --
>finished basement.  I'm willing to rip into the ceiling and under trim if
>absolutely necessary but would rather not.  Is wireless technology mature
>enough to use yet -- reliably?  Have you put in a Paradox or DSC wireless
>(it appears they do sell such a thing) -- results?  Is there a
>top-of-the-line 'wireless' solution?  Replacing batteries is a non-issue
>(i.e. a minor annoyance as long as it isn't monthly or something);
>reliability is.

Stay away from the DSC and Paradox wireless. ITI, which GE now owns,
has the best wireless devices. If you'd like a more traditional panel
(one with a panel and remote keypads) look at the NetworX panels. They
are the former Caddx panels and have wireless receivers that work with
all the ITI wireless devices. GE now makes the NX-148E-RF LCD keypad
that has a 48 zone wireless receiver integrated inside. So you can
have your traditional wired panel setup with fully wireless
protection.

>Thanks in advance and regards ...

Julian