Re: CCTV Cameras

"Bob La Londe" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:sradnRqn3vEXIpLeRVn-sQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Jackcsg" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Awesome! I can't think of a single application where a laptop computer
> > with
> > an expensive single frame Digital Camera could be utilized in a real
world
> > surveillance situation. At least you'd have the "flash" for covert night
> > operations...
> > I think you're a little confused...but do let us all know how your
> > marketing
> > campaign goes...
> >

> Actually even a cheap digital camera has better resolution than the
average
> CCTV camera.  Even the expensive CCTV cameras aren't all that great IMO.
> Its always been a tough for sell for me when a camcorder provides better
> video quality than a CCTV camera.  In fact years ago because of this we
> setup an old camcorder camera for the check cashing line at my parents
> grocery store.  It was one of those with an recorder carried on a shoulder
> strap.  We modified it to go to a regular recorder, and it worked great
for
> many years of continuous service.
>
> We as an industry are deluding ourselves if we want to compare CCTV
imaging
> to digital cameras, most camocredrs or any digital camcorder.  With SVHS
and
> HI-8 recorders as cheap as they are these days I can't understand why CCTV
> cameras cost so much to get a fraction of the resolution and still have to
> be tweaked and adjusted for a particular application.
>
> Even so I tend to only use the better res cameras.  The only positive is
the
> cameras we use today are so much better than the cameras we used 15 years
> ago that commercial customers are still pleased with the improvement.
Well
> atleast commercial customers who had cameras 15 years ago.  LOL

I'm pretty impressed with the resolution I get off most of the Network
Cameras we use.
When you place a 470 line resolution camera on a 380 line resolution
monitor...that's the effects most customers see. The digital chip sets are
certainly much better, but you also get what you pay for. Panasonic makes a
970 lines resolution camera, but at $975 a camera (fixed)...if there are
used in the right application, with the right lens, displayed on the right
monitor?
Most CCTV installs are always the low bid, at low to medium specifications.
You get what you pay for. Cameras serve their purpose...unless you're a
photographer. Then nothings good enough.