Re: Voip Problems?

Here goes.

In the last year or so maybe a couple dozen of my clients with lots of phone
lines switched to VOip because it looked good on paper and was supposed to
save them big bucks.  In every case I told them I needed a line with dial
tone extended to our equipment in order for their alarm systems to continue
working.

Not a single account was able to do that and all those accounts went kaput.
None of their installers could give you a working phone line you were just
supposed to pretend everything works.

Now all of those places have dumped the VOip crap and paid SBC tons of money
to get phone lines installed again.  During the time they had VOip the
service guys were there all day at least two or three days a week trying to
get anything to work and my understanding was that most of these systems
either never worked right to begin with or only worked halfass for short
periods of time and it cost everybody a fortune.  All of these places had
different companies with different vendors and they all had nothing but
trouble.  I don't know if this is the case nationwide or we just have a lot
of dumb guys here who didn't know what they were doing.  At some point you
would think that somebody would figure out what is wrong and get it fixed.

The other day I dropped off my RR cable modem at TWC and the line was out
the door with people bringing in junk equipment and everone in line had a
modem or a couple of dvr's or both and TWC was just handing out new stuff to
everyone and acting like there's no problem with their VOip service when in
fact you can tell by the huge crowd there must be some sort of problem.

Meanwhile you can now install a wireless communicator for $5. a month and
not have to worry about a pots line or VOip and not make several service
trips out to look for trouble you can't fix anyway.

Now if we could just get alarm panels connected to TCP/IP service for $10.
like you can with any personal computer then we will all be in good shape.