Re: Help identifuing a wire

"JOhn" wrote...
> This is a pic of the inside of the mstr bdr walk-in closet, above the
> door.
> http://www.members.shaw.ca/barnesj/
> The cat5 dangling out of the wall runs to the alarm panel location.  Any
> idea what device it may have been intended for?
>
> ... And whats the 120v duplex outlet for?  In the old days they used to
> put an outlet centred, above a high traffic door for a clock.
>
> Also, wondering if the exposed terminals on the t-stat transformer are a
> violation of code. (this is B.C. Canada)

Siren, power, temp sensor maybe?  Using cat5 seems strange though.

And keep in mind that drywallers aren't the most intelligent group.  The
wire could have been moved from the attic (assuming there is one).

If not for the panel's power, the outlet may have been for a closet light or
to have a tv mounted on the other side of the wall.

And although I see the risk of shorting, I don't think the transformer is a
violation.  It should be positioned so you can read the label though, but I
can't tell from the picture.  A piece of tape wouldn't hurt though.

Any idea who did this prewire?