Re: Electric Lock choice

"J. Sloud" <jsloud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ld0se19ektgapi1ms5b46n5hlfbad4ku6l@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 04:25:45 GMT, "Frank Olson" <feolson@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>><bhnjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> So, back to the original post:  We have double doors, meeting in the
>>> center of the opening, without a center post.  So if I don't use mag
>>> locks, what type of lock would be my best choice?  I would like to use
>>> a good quality strike (such as the securitron Unlatch motorized strike)
>>> but again, there is not a center post.  The two doors meet at the
>>> center of the opening, and actually touch each other with their felt
>>> weather strips.  Your input will be most appreciated.  Thanks again . .
>>

>>Go with mag locks.  Clear the installation with the local AHJ.  If
>>security
>>is an issue then power the locks from a stand-by power supply.  I'm not a
>>huge fan of motion activated door releases like the "T-Rex", particularily
>>where "security" is a concern.  I know if I was walking up to a glass door
>>to leave my residence and saw a rather unsavory character lurking about
>>outside, I wouldn't want the door to open unless *I* was the one making
>>that
>>decision (ie. use a request to exit button).  A "T-Rex" takes that choice
>>away from you as soon as you approach the door.  This is an issue that
>>we've
>>actually managed to get variances on from the AHJ, but you have to talk to
>>them and clear it first!!  Most AHJ's won't "bend" on the issue of
>>connecting the lock to the fire alarm so that the doors open in a fire
>>emergency though, so don't even try.  :-))
>>
> Frank,
>
> in the United States, according to NFPA101 Life Safety Code, you must
> have a REX motion.  Specifically it says that the door must
> automatically release from the egress side as a person approaches.
> You also have to have a manual means of shunting power to the mag that
> is clearly labeled "Push to Exit."  Nothing else meets code.  Period.
>
> As for local AHJ's:  Doing what they say may not be enough.  Many
> don't know crap, and you do not automatically remove yourself from
> liability claims just because some local fire marshal said something
> was okay.  At least get it in writing.

First off, I wouldn't accept the local Fire Marshal here as having the final
authority on any variance as they usually defer to the person that does
anyway (which happens to be the building inspector).  To apply for a
variance and have one granted you must do so in writing, cite the reasons
for it and submit sealed drawings from an Electrical Engineer.  In your
example of the airport doors to the tarmac, the Airport Authority should
consider obtaining a variance to extend the time that the door will release
to 60 seconds in an emergency.  I think it's far more dangerous to allow
members of the general public onto a ramp or apron where they could easily
be sucked into an engine or suffer other injury.  60 seconds would give
someone "with a clue" to respond to the door and escort people to safety.
In any civil court proceedings which I've witnessed the judge in almost all
cases defers to "common sense" and "public safety".  Most people aren't
aware of the hazards of jet blast or how to successfully negotiate an active
ramp to a safe location.