Re: Jury Duty?

> Hey,
>
> I'm sure I can't be the only guy out there pretty much working solo.  What
> do you do?  I have jobs scheduled, service calls to take care, clients
> calling me for new stuff.

I've done it twice in Connecticut so far.  Both were interesting
cases.  The first time took about three weeks if memory serves.
They were guilty.  The second took one day.  He was innocent but
his stupid lawyer got him to accept a plea to a lesser charge.
The judge come into the jury room after lunch and told us of the
plea.  Almost all of us said we were going to find him innocent.
He went to jail anyway.  Poor slob.

If you really don't want to serve, you could tell the prosecutor
that you think the system is geared up to wrongly convict
innocent people.  You'll be on your way right away.  When asked I
told them I didn't want to be on a jury but I was willing.  I
even told them of my colorful past.  That didn't seem to matter.
I also told them that in my business I protected several state
and federal judges' homes and that two were personal friends.
That didn't get me out of it either.

A couple of months ago I got a jury summons in Florida.  I sent
it back saying I would be out of the country and they excused me.
YMMV.

Final note:  Although it's a pain and a financial burden, if you
can find some way to manage it, you really ought to do so.  It's
the only thing that stands between the innocent and a disaster.
Besides, it's much more interesting than Court TV.  :)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass