Re: My Wiring 3 Kidde Smokes Together Problem

Weird.

However, not to long ago I measured 2-4 volts AC on disonnected alarm =
wires...RFI from nearby AM radio towers..it was the only thing we could =
figure as we were measuring it with all mains off...no juice to the =
house at all.=20

Not saying this is your case.

Sorry couldn't be of more  help.

"Robert11" <rgsrose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
> Hi,
>=20
> Yes sir, the reds were hooked up to the old detectors.
>=20
> The old detectors were Rittenhouse, which I believe used to be a part =
of=20
> Emerson.
>=20
> From what I can tell from the old info molded into the case, the=20
> interconnect wire ran
> on 110 V AC for them.
>=20
> The new Kidde's use 9V dc to trigger each other, apparently.
>=20
> The 2 V dc relative to the white neutral that I am seeing is with the =
red=20
> interconnect wire disconnected from the old ones, and also =
disconnected from=20
> the new smoke detectors, so the voltage on the wire should, of course, =
be 0=20
> V.  Should just be "floating," but apparently isn't.
>=20
> Bob
> ---------
>=20
> "Crash Gordon=AE" <NONE@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
> Were the reds hooked up to the old detectors?
> I'm wondering that maybe the old smokes were retro-fitted on a =
lighting=20
> circuit to begin with. 30 years ago...smokes weren't required in many =
areas.
>=20
>=20
> "Robert11" <rgsrose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
> > Hi,
> >
> > This relates to the problem I've been having in getting 3 new Kidde =
PI=20
> > 2000
> > smoke dectors to talk to each other.  They replaced 3 very old =
detectors
> > which were apparently wired together also. As described in a =
previous=20
> > post,
> > when my new ones were hooked up to
> > the third wire (red) they all just cycle on and off.
> >
> > So, I guess there are two main possibilities, as folks have =
mentioned:

> > a. that there is perhaps another detector on the line somewhere that =
I am