Automating TV from my PC using IR

I would like to automate my TV , DVD player, etc, But since none of
them have an interface to communicate with my PC, I think that I
should attempt to send IR commands to each device from my PC. However
I have no idea how to do it and have no Idea where to learn.

I have a SMK IR Receiver included with my MCE and I think that I can
use it to replay IR commands but I can=92t find any documentation of how
to use it from my c# app.

Can anyone give me some guidance of where and how to start?