Re: Which X-10 Module To Use?

Bob F wrote:
> Anthony R. Gold wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 01:45:44 +0000 (UTC), David White
>> <whitedavidp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello. My wife is starting to get ready for the holiday lights
>>> already since it is growing darker, faster here in the Northwest. I
>>> tried using both a standard X-10 lamp module and a newer X-10
>>> appliance module (without local control) to control a string of LED
>>> christmas style lights. It seems that with both modules, even with
>>> the turned off, the LED lights still glow at a low level. When
>>> turned on, the brightness is significantly higher. But when turned
>>> off, my wife wants them OFF. Is there a module that will handle this
>>> properly? Thanks
>> I had that exact problem with strings of the new LED Christmas
>> lights. I just lived with it. But if you need to kill them dead when
>> off then you might try adding a small incandescent night light to the
>> module's output, although I can't promise it will work as I never
>> tried it. http://tinyurl.com/2ft4ttt
>
> That's worked for me for problem CF bulbs.

Thanks for the responses Anthony and Bob. After posting, I stumbled into
some similar discussions. One poster suggested plugging-in a wall-wart.
I have a small charger from an old cell phone. I plugged that in as a
trial and it DOES work! When the appliance module (with no local
control) shuts off, the LEDs glow for maybe seconds and then shut down
completely. This is something of a pain since I had to plug an extension
cord into the module and then plug both the LEDs and wall-wart into
that. It would be cool to find something that would work to draw the
minimal current when plugged-into the module and have a pass-thru into
which the LED string could plug. But this is much a hack anyway. I saw
another discussion where folks have made modifications to the module
itself <http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12112>.

Cheers