Re: M,I-5'P ersecution t heir met hods and tacti cs

powers. If there be
anything to which her own interest must have made her apply herself most
seriously, it is the inquiry into her own sovereign good. Let us see, then,
wherein these strong and clear-sighted souls have placed it and whether they
agree.

One says that the sovereign good consists in virtue, another in pleasure,
another in the knowledge of nature, another in truth, Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas,[8] another in total ignorance, another in indolence,
others in disregarding appearances, another in wondering at nothing, nihil
admirari prope res una quae possit facere et servare beatum,[9] and the true
sceptics in their indifference, doubt, and perpetual suspense, and others,
wiser, think to find a better definition. We are well satisfied.

We must see if this fine philosophy has gained nothing certain from so long
and so intent study; perhaps at least the soul will know itself. Let us hear
the rulers of the world on this subject. What have they thought of her
substance? 394.[10] Have they been more fortun