Re: X10 Problems

has a double meaning, one clear and one in which it is said that
the meaning is hidden.

678. Types.--A portrait conveys absence and presence, pleasure and pain. The
reality excludes absence and pain.

To know if the law and the sacrifices are a reality or a type, we must see
if the prophets, in speaking of these things, confined their view and their
thought to them, so that they saw only the old covenant; or if they saw
therein something else of which they were the representation, for in a
portrait we see the thing figured. For this we need only examine what they
say of them.

When they say that it will be eternal, do they mean to speak of that
covenant which they say will be changed; and so of the sacrifices, etc.?

A cipher has two meanings. When we find out an important letter in which we
discover a clear meaning, and in which it is nevertheless said that the
meaning is veiled and obscure, that it is hidden, so that we might read the
letter without seeing it, and interpret it without understanding it, what
must we think but that here is a cipher with a double meaning, and the more