Re: Panasonic BLC-30/BLC-131 versus BLC-1/BLC-20

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:16:20 -0400, "Bill Kearney"
<wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> And who wants wireless devices near babies?
>
>Oh yeah, right, like the "don't live under powerlines" junk science.  Yeesh,
>what nonsense.

Well, Bill -  with all due respect, the jury is still out on that one.
While we as individuals have little control over the siting of power
lines,  we can choose not to live underneath or near them. Whereas
cell phone signals are a feature of modern life that none of us can
avoid.  They're everywhere.

However, when it comes to placing RF near infants in our own homes we
definitely do have a clear choice. And I choose the safe option
because I believe the scientists who contend that EMR can adversely
affect the development of babes and children. So there's no WiFi in
our place or cordless phones either. I cannot do anything about
external stuff over which I have no control. But in my house, what I
says goes. Because mom always knows best.

>If you're near any neighbors, have a cordless phone or in cell phone
>coverage you're already getting wireless RF.

>I'm looking to get something but would prefer to have the pan/tilt/zoom
>option.

With CCTV you can have almost broadcast quality if you want it - but
not on the average household budget. My original post was aimed
squarely at run o' the mill householders who, from time to time, need
to observe small children and pets. Sony, AXIS and Panasonic etc. all
do high-end systems that produce far better pictures and offer much
improved facilities over the units discussed - which are basic models
designed for those on fairly tight budgets.

Incidentally - for recording IP cameras I highly recommend a software
called ACTIVEWEBCAM. It's quite cheap and does everything the
expensive manufacturer-specific softwares do and maybe more than most.
But before buying, just make sure that your particular IP camera(s)
are supported. I should be very surprised if they are not.

You can check out Activewebcam here:

http://www.pysoft.com/ActiveWebCamMainpage.htm