Re: New Installation = Insteon

On May 7, 11:31 am, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
> You'll have to decide for yourself whetherInsteonhas a future. FWIW, I
> think it does.
>
> There is a 3rd party IP-Insteonbridge...
>
>      http://www.smarthome.com/31272p.html
>
> They are about to start shipping RF access points and an RF remote.
>
>      http://www.smarthome.com/2443.html
>      http://www.smarthome.com/2440.html
>
> You can always use X-10 outlets untilInsteonoutlets become available.
> There are some issues with this - how many outlets are you planning?
>
> You will likely need filters if you are planning CFL fluorescents.
>
> Have you tried the SmarthomeInsteonforum?
>
>      http://www.techmall.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9
>

> TheWalk...@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >I'm thinking about incorporating some home automation into a big
> >renovation project.  Initially, I'm looking at basic lighting control
> >and was leaning towardsInsteon.  I don't really need to do any
> >dimming but want to control cove lighting, under cabinet, etc. which
> >is  fluorescent.  Eventually, I'd like to tie this into an IP based
> >controller (remote monitoring), smart thermostats, etc.
>
> >It seems that there are noInsteonwall outlets (other than the lamp
> >modules which I really would prefer not to use.)  Isn't this a huge
> >gap in their offerings?  The Smarthome folks have said for a year that
> >they're just around the corner...
>
> >Would I be better off with an alternative technology?  I'm getting a
> >funny feeling in my gut thatInsteonis dying on the vine. I've been
> >casually monitoring this technology for a bit over a year and it seems
> >Insteonhas stalled.
>
> >Does anyone know if someone will soon offer plug modules?  IsInsteon
> >the way to go?  Are there better alternatives?  Any thoughts/ comments
> >appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks.

I've seen the bridges.

It seems that if you're really into dimming incandescents, Insteon is
really neat technology.  I want to control 15 - 20 grouped fluorescent
linears in cove/ under cabinet lighting so I can control groups of
these at a time

For what I want to do, I suppose the Inline Linc (http://
www.smarthome.com/2475s.html - $46 per) will work or I can use $19
X-10 plugs (http://www.smarthome.com/2040.html).

My concern/ point, is why wouldn't someone offer something as basic as
this as a true Insteon receptacle product?

If I'm going to the effort to install a technology, rigging it to work
with X-10 seems to negate most of the benefits of going with Insteon
to begin with.

Am I missing something or do the guys at Smarthome need to switch to
caffeinated coffee?