Re: New Installation = Insteon

> It seems that there are no Insteon wall outlets
> (other than the lamp modules which I really
> would prefer not to use.)  Isn't this a huge
> gap in their offerings?  The Smarthome folks
> have said for a year that they're just around
> the corner...

Take a look at Z-Wave.  There are over 100
member companies currently shipping or
developing Z-Wave compatible devices. These
range from lighting controls to thermostats,
swimming pool controllers, etc.  There are a
number of home automation controllers and
software based systems which support
Z-Wave.

Among the major companies supporting the
protocol are Cooper Wiring Devices, Danfoss,
Intel, Intermatic, Leviton, Monster Cable,
Universal Electronics, Wayne Dalton, Zensys
(developed the Z-Wave technology).
Intel says their next PC chip will include Z-Wave
integration.

On the other hand there is SmartHome's
Insteon product line.  A few people love it.  A
few have posted about problems with the
hardware.  Insteon lacks the support of
major industry players that it will need to
remain a viable product line.

> Would I be better off with an alternative
> technology?  I'm getting a funny feeling in
> my gut that Insteon is dying on the vine.
> I've been casually monitoring this technology
> for a bit over a year and it seems Insteon
> has stalled.

I believe you're right.  Then again, since I
sell Z-Wave I'm not entirely unbiased.  :^)

> Does anyone know if someone will soon
> offer plug modules?  Is Insteon the way to
> go?  Are there better alternatives?  Any
> thoughts/ comments appreciated.

Besides Z-Wave you could take a look at
UPB.  I have limited information on both it
and Z-Wave on my website.  I'll post more
time allows.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass