Re: Survey: Home Control Software

I was not aware of the RF missing factor on these devices. You are
correct on the overhype. They discuss this technique in depth and give
the impression all Insteon devices are "fully equipped" but when
examining their remote units, the RF is never mentioned.

The units are quite pricey and the slow replacement of X10 devices
seems attractive. Most of mine have been removed from service due to
several reasons
- I am building a new home and recovering units for the move.
- many operated unreliabily or not at all despite two powerline signal
bridges and neighbour blocking devices.
- too may light left on for days is costing me energy money on my
bill, despite software to shut them down a few times a day for "just
in case" scenarios.
- too many "all lights on" in the middle of the night from wireless
receivers (I think)

I short the three of four dozen units and 15 years of trying to
perfect the system has resulted in a complete distrust for X10 units
and there is only a few spots where flakey can be useful. Soon I will
retire and won't need my "sunrise" algorythm for a 300W halogen
anymore either. I was hoping Inteon may be an answer for a technology
hungry kid.