Need kitchen undercabinet dimmable light ideas

Folks -

I'm redoing my kitchen and I want to add undercabinet lighting (which I
don't have right now). It needs to be able to be controlled by X-10 (or
otherwise via my HomeVision automation system. I'd like the lights to be
dimmable, so I can include them in scenes.

Here's my problem:
1) the most popular undercabinet lights - florescent - don't dim, and
are potential X-10 noise sources (at least that's my somewhat dated
understanding).

2) 12v Halogens don't dim well, I believe, and ar probably hot.

3) 120v xenon lights DO dim, but they are HOT. I bought one to try out
in my old kitchen and the inside of the kitchen cabinet gets really hot
(not just a little warm). I wouldn't want to put anything sensitive to
heat in the cabinets if I used these. That pretty much rules them out too.

4) The LED lighting I've seen so far is not bright enough for task
lighting need in the kitchen; but then again, I haven't seen too many of
these yet.

Not sure what options I have left? Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Ron