Re: Brake method needed for hillside lift

Gemini wrote:
> The simplest way would be to wrap and connect the cable to (a spring
> loaded?) spool under the carriage that would allow a lever to drop down on
> some type of stops affixed to the tracks so that if the cable ever became
> slack it would drop down and engage on one of the stops.
> I remember this method being used on larger garage doors as a safety in case
> the counterbalance failed.
> Let me know if this makes no sense verbally and I'll sketch it out for
> you....

Yes, this makes sense but the only problem is detecting the slack.
Since the angle is 30 degrees and travels about 150 feet, the cable
naturally has slack when going down.  It rests on the support a bit as
the cart pulls it down.  Also, in a freespool event where the cable
drums are moving freely, there wouldn't be enough slack to react on.

One one of the other boards (comp.home.automation) a suggestion was
made to hook up the drums to an air compressor (without the electric
motor) such that it would have resistance at higher speeds.

Thanks for the suggestion!