Re: Problem with x-10 system that used to be stable

Noise might cause both. It sounds like someone in another apartment has some
gear that's putting noise on the powerline. This may be very tough to track
down and even tougher to fix unless you can find the source and get the
owner to plug it into a filter. A filter may not help if its spikey.

I think I would start by buying an ESM1 meter ($50-60) to see if it
indicates X10-like noise on the line. Note that it will not show noise
spikes but will show continuous noise in the 80-175kHz range.

If it's spikes causing the random turn-ons and you have WS467 (or similar)
switches, this may help...

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/msg/62d41d8a36fef5ea?oe=UTF-8&output=gplain