Re: House Access Help

On 28 Jul 2006 23:05:43 -0700, joseph_stiehm@xxxxxxxxx wrote in message
<1154153143.459065.296310@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I'm rather new at home automation. I'd be interested in feedback
>regarding a plan for a passive entry system to my home.  The plan and
>components I have envisioned exist but I have not seen them configured
>in the way I've planned.

[ snip]

>Principle elements of the plan:
>(1) Long range proximity reader - It seems as if the normal distance
>for a proximity reader is something on the order of 6" or less. My
>intention is to be able to approach my front door and have it open as I
>approach without having to remove my key card from my wallet.  This
>would suggest a range quite a bit longer than 6".  Long range proximity
>readers are out there (HID Maxiprox) but it appears they are targeted
>to parking garages and such.
>
>Would anyone like to comment on applying a long range proximity reader
>to home automation application?

There is a turn-key, long range RFID using Wavetrend hardware

http://www.wavetrend.net/pdfs/L-RX201-04%20Reader%20PI.pd

developed and market for home automation by iAutomate that does what you
are looking for. Interface software is available for Crestron and Homeseer
home automation systems.

The principal drawback is price, especially if you want more than one
location (reader). Cost for a minimal setup is about US$700.

http://www.iautomate.com/rfid.html?TESTSESSID=b39e7bab94799e10a82f0fa4947845f2

Homeseer RFID discussion board is here:

http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=758

As with many Homeseer plugins, there are "issues".

I've looked for less expensive options, including home-brew DIY and found
none. Eventually they will emerge. Wavetrend (what iAutomate uses)
themselves have less expensive readers. Keep us posted on what you learn.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org