Re: House Access Help

Marc_F_Hult wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2006 23:05:43 -0700, joseph_stiehm@xxxxxxxxx wrote in message
> <1154153143.459065.296310@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> >I'm rather new at home automation. I'd be interested in feedback
> >regarding a plan for a passive entry system to my home.  The plan and
> >components I have envisioned exist but I have not seen them configured
> >in the way I've planned.
>
> [ snip]
> >
> >Principle elements of the plan:
> >(1) Long range proximity reader - It seems as if the normal distance
> >for a proximity reader is something on the order of 6" or less. My
> >intention is to be able to approach my front door and have it open as I
> >approach without having to remove my key card from my wallet.  This
> >would suggest a range quite a bit longer than 6".  Long range proximity
> >readers are out there (HID Maxiprox) but it appears they are targeted
> >to parking garages and such.
> >
> >Would anyone like to comment on applying a long range proximity reader
> >to home automation application?
>
> There is a turn-key, long range RFID using Wavetrend hardware
>
> http://www.wavetrend.net/pdfs/L-RX201-04%20Reader%20PI.pd
>
> developed and market for home automation by iAutomate that does what you
> are looking for. Interface software is available for Crestron and Homeseer
> home automation systems.
>
> The principal drawback is price, especially if you want more than one
> location (reader). Cost for a minimal setup is about US$700.
>
> http://www.iautomate.com/rfid.html?TESTSESSID=b39e7bab94799e10a82f0fa4947845f2
>
> Homeseer RFID discussion board is here:
>
> http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=758
>
> As with many Homeseer plugins, there are "issues".
>
> I've looked for less expensive options, including home-brew DIY and found
> none. Eventually they will emerge. Wavetrend (what iAutomate uses)
> themselves have less expensive readers. Keep us posted on what you learn.
>
> HTH ... Marc
> Marc_F_Hult
> www.ECOntrol.org

Marc,

Thanks a lot for the info.  I was reading up this past weekend.  The
iAutomate solution is interesting.  A couple of questions if you don't
mind answering them:

1) The iAutomate (Wavetrend) solution involves tags that are battery
operated and have a lifespan of 5 years.  Are you aware of any good
long-range proximity reader solutions which involves strictly passive
tags that don't require their own power source (HID seems to fit the
bill, but it doesn't seem to be marketed to home automation)?

2) The setup I have envisioned has the reader installed in the house
with the read envelope extending outside the house.  All the readers
I've looked at seems to be omni-directional.  Any ideas on creating a
hemi-spherical area of activation (on the outside of my house only)?  I
looked at the front door this weekend with a tape measure.  In order to
create a passive, transparent solution to opening the door I figured a
radius of 36" around the doorknob (at wallet level) would be ideal.  I
don't want to trip the front door reader from the inside so I figured I
needed to do one of 4 things:
  a - Shield the reader (using metal?) so it only detects tags from one
direction. Is this realistic?
  b - Set up the reader outside (ugly for a number of reasons) so that
the envelope doesn't penetrate to the inside of the house
  c - Use a reader and a second, fixed-location, tag set up
asymmetrically and measure distance of the 1st tag against the distance
to the second tag to determine whether the door should open (I don't
even know if this is feasible)
  d - Get two readers (expensive) and set them up in conjunction to
create a crescent of activation (tricky?)

Again, I'm new to this so maybe my concern is due to naivete on my part
(it may be that this is something HA folks simply "deal with"), but
before I look to spend $700 on the venture I'd like to establish the
feasibility of my concept.

Thanks for your time.

= Joseph