Re: Beggginer 3-way switch question....

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:33:12 -0700, jaedend wrote:

> I would like to start using home automation equipment.  I currently
> rent so I'm not looking to rewire the house or anything, but I thought
> I would start with wall switches and a few appliance modules.  Here's
> my question:  Nearly every light in my apartment is toggled between 2
> switches.  So for example my hallway has 2 switches, one at both ends.
> Both switches will turn the lights in the hallway on or off when
> switched.  How do I integrate wall switch modules into this setup?  Do
> I need a special switch or will any x10 switch work?  Do I replace both
> wall switches?  Is there a way to keep the toggle working for manual
> switching but still be able to run automated programs?  Thank for any
> help.

You have what are usually referred to as "3-way" switches.

Assuming your lights are all incandescent, you can uses the X10
WS4777 3-way module kit which comes with one master and one slave
switch. (They won't work with fluorescent or compact fluorescent
lamps.)
They're push-on/push-off rather than toggle, and can be remotely
controlled on/off/dim via X10 power line signals as well as manually
operated on/off.
See: <http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_ws4777.htm>

It's been reported that the push-button mechanism of this type
of X10 wall switch is not particularly long-lived.  Leviton makes
3-way X10-compatible switches with reportedly better long term
mechanical reliability but they're _considerably_ more expensive.

You can also check out 3-way switches in one of the 'Linc lines
<http://www.smarthome.com>, however their reliability has been
called into question by some usually knowledgeable contributors
to this newsgroup.

Caution: Some X10-compatible switches require a neutral wire in
the switch box, and it's doubtful your apartment is wired this
way.  (The WS4777 does not require a neutral.)

I have nine X10 push-button wall switches (single, not 3-way)
which have been in daily operation for about 8 years, with one
failure (electrical, not push-button) during that time.  BUT ...
they're primarily controlled by X10 signals and only occasionally
operated manually.