Re: X10 signal problems...

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:47:11 -0700, mike2711 wrote:

> I have a leviton 6308 X10 photocell controlling 2 landscape lighting
> transformers in my garage. Ever since this was installed, it has never
> had a problem receiving the "on" command at dusk. About 2 days a week,
> the lights won't turn off at dawn. At first, I thout it was the
> photocell at fault, and replaced it, only to have the same problem with
> the replacement. Then I figured that since the transformers always turn
> on but have trouble turning off, that the transformers may be causing
> line noise. They aren't suppose to since they are the coil type but I
> plugged them into filterlincs anyway to check, and a few days later,
> same problem. Then I attached filterlincs to the 2 computer strips in
> the house, which actually improved the signal to some other modules,
> but again, the transformers didn't turn off this morning. The only
> other electrical devices that are on overnight into morning are 3
> portable heaters, 2 oil filled radiators and an older electric element
> type. Do these cause line noise? What else can I try? I've thought
> about just getting a Powerlinc (1132CU) and just configure it to send a
> repeated off command multiple times at dawn to increase reliability.
> What do you guys think?

1. Are you aware of the phase problem with X10?  I.e., the transmitter
is on one side of the +120V - neutral - -120V feed and the receiver
is on the other.  You may get a reasonably good signal path between
the two when a 240 appliance, like an electric stove or hot water
heater, is operating and a poor (or no) signal path otherwise.
Check the phases - you may need a signal bridge.

2. You may have noise from appliances like TVs, VCRs, and stereos
even when they're "turned off".  (The power supply has to be operating
for an IR remote to "turn it on".)

3. Depending on what other loads you have on the power lines, you
may just have a marginal signal.  And having the transformers
operating is the final straw.