Re: x10 basics--noob question

I would avoid the LM15A for this 'base-up' application. There have been
several reports of failures wherein the heat from the bulb melts the
adhesive used to hold the socket and the socket and bulb fall out. I would
only use these in lamps where the base is down (as shown on the LM15A web
page).

The older, screw-in lamp module did not have this problem (although
manufacturing techniques may have changed since I bought mine) and it has
better features (i.e. it's dimmable) and costs less but its wide body may
interfere with the pullchain should you want to retain its functionality.

     http://www.x10.com/automation/sl575_s.html