Re: Cooling attic (and home) by spraying water on roof (shingles)- good/bad?

"Some Guy" <Some@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Phil Scott wrote:
>
> > > I think only the roof makes a workable item to cool with
> > > water cooling.  It's designed to get wet, to collect
runoff,
> > > and gets very hot in the summer, and cooling it can lead
> > > reduction in cooling requirements of the house.
> >
> > Its workable...but there are problems ..its seldom used
> > because of those problems.
>
> Would you care to mention what those problems are?

Water is a corrosive.  Would mildly wear the roofing but with
your limited use not much...

Mineral deposits with your limited usage would be minor but
still a negative factor.

The net benefit of water cooling the roof would be close to
the benefits of attic air ventilation..attic air ventilation
would not have that set of minor problems though.

Your suggestion is workable  just not the optimum as I see it.
It would be optimum however say in the deep south west with
air temperatures over 110 in the shade...  but then mineral
content of the water is higher there and could be a very
significant problem one would have to look at...  it is
typically not done.

I might be inclined to put a spray misting system in the attic
air make up stream.  that would work.

However misting companies will not sell into a high mineral
content water area because the minerals destroy their PD pumps
and clogg the micro nozzels....thus...we see swamp coolers
used in the south west.

Phil Scott