Latest message you have seen: Re: xPL for Phones...

CD (or compact flash etc) booted XPLmedianet/XPLHAL

  • Subject: CD (or compact flash etc) booted XPLmedianet/XPLHAL
  • From: "michael.furlong" <otherlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 23:06:41 +0100

Just wondering if this sounds possible.....

A PC (small form factor fanless etc) booting from CD or some other
non-hard disc device and able to run xplhal and xplmedianet (plus
maybe some other xpl apps).

Idea being that it would use a NAS, like maybe a buffalo terastation,
to access MP3s and videos etc.

The reasons for doing this is to get away from having a full blown PC
on the network 24/7 and making the whole thing more bulletproof. So if
a problem occurs just reboot the diskless pc and you are back to the
original config.

One of the reasons for doing this is to remove the possibility of
virus/spyware/worm infection so I guess another question is would this
actual protect from this? I guess the shares could still host thes
nasties.

Any thoughts on this?

Mick