Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Changes to Protocol Docs - a Summary

RE: xPL announcement/description protocol -- was xPLDiag

  • Subject: RE: xPL announcement/description protocol -- was xPLDiag
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:44:56 +0100

Aren't we over engeering stuff here?

Firstly an app doesn't (shouldn't) take up to 5 minutes to start working
without a hub. An app is supposed to bind it's hub port regardless and
start
using it immediately, even if there's no hub

Only config can take up to 5 minutes at start, and this only applies to
app's/devices that don't do the increased 1 minute "config me" at
start up
and can't store their own config.

Almost all app's store their config, so in the vast majority of app's there
is no delay whatsoever once a hub is started theyre all up and running
(regardless of the boot order)

If the above isn't happening for some people, theyre's something wrong
somewhere - and this should be addressed before anything else surely.

I personally can't see any reason why there should be any need for any
changes, the protocol works as long as app's/device's are adhering to it,
and no amount of diag/ping messages should have any bearing on the working
of xPL

If we want an about.basic to provide other information fair enough, but
this
shouldn't be used to patch over badly acting app's/devices

Regards
Tony