Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Changes to Protocol Docs - a Summary

Re: xPLDiag

I did originally think of just having special schema for getting the hub
client list, but I decided to go for the more general about.basic
because there is so much more useful information that the apps can
report than currently gets put into the heartbeats.  Once I'd decided
that, the client list seemed to be a duplication of information already
available in the about.basic responses.

However, as you point out, where there are apps that do not respond, the
client list would give a basic indication of the existance of an app.
The schema could easily be extended to include a number of
client="vendor-device.instance, ip, port" entries.  The only
downside I
can see is that hubs are not always able to drop an app that has stopped
- they don't all send hbeat.end before quitting. This would mean the
client list might contain apps that are no longer functioning.

As for building a map - that's the plan :-)  It would be even nicer if
apps had icons that could be displayed, although we seem to have enough
trouble coming up with the one for xPL as a whole!

Mal