Re: Standalone xPL Hub Summary

  • Subject: Re: Standalone xPL Hub Summary
  • From: Gerry Duprey <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:00:05 -0400

Howdy,

> The xpl ocx already has an increased heartbeat while it waits for a
response
> to it's config request (currently 1 minute intervals, then when it
changes
> to normal hbeat 5 mins or whatever)
>
> I guess the v2/v3 lib must work in the same way?
>
> Personally i think 1 minute is fine, but if others prefer a shorter
period
> it can easily be adjusted

Well, 1 minute is a reasonably long time, considering the app itself may
not
be able to do anything until it knows it has a hub (it really can't -- at
least from an xPL standpoint).

This rate is distinct from normal hbeat and normal config messages, both of
which are sent after the app is running and in most cases, reasonably
responsive.

I think about this more in the case of xPL based apps that have a GUI than
ones that just sit around (like an x10 server or something) because that UI
is going to have to put up some sort of "Please Wait...." until
it hears
itself.  Again, in a worse case situation (just missing the hub start),
that
could be nearly a full minute which is nearly an eternity for someone
waiting for an app to start.

I like Ians suggestion as a compromise -- start off sending once every 3
seconds for some period of time (30 seconds is probably fine, though if we
are at a 3 second interval, maybe a minute would be better) and then drop
back to once every 30 seconds until a hub is detected, then we drop back to
whatever is appropriate (once a minute for config, once ever X (default 5)
for hbeat).

And while I do like the idea of a .probe schema type extension, I'm OK with
sticking with existing schema class types too.

Gerry

--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103