Re: Hub Discussion

Howdy,

> For these reasons, I'd prefer a separate hub that does nothing but hub
duties. This should
> include logging and may include a GUI to view events. Whether the GUI
is built-in to the
> hub, or the GUI opens a separate socket to the hub to listen for log
messages, I don't
> really mind.

I agree -- mostly.  I think while a GUI is a nice thing to have, it
shouldn't be in the requirements for a hub and if it is optionally
provided,
it should be separate program that can talk to the hub.

My thinking is that 1) not all runtime environments are going to have a GUI
to run on (under linux, unix, solaris, OSX, etc you can run a daemon (like
windows service) on a server that doesn't have any GUI installed) and 2)
adding a GUI to the actual hub means complicating it and I feel that the
hubs really should be small (easier to debug/design) and as hardened as
possible.  Having a GUI doesn't necessarily run counter to these things,
but
it does allow for GUI related problems and adds a lot of complexity.

> Keep the hub simple and separate, and newbies will be able to see
what's going on much
> more clearly. And I think the requirements would be less confusing.

Amen - simple and separate -- great summary :-)

--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103