Re: USB-UIRT and xPL

  • Subject: Re: USB-UIRT and xPL
  • From: "J P" <snakedjip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:11:08 -0000

By the way (and this is probably not the best group to post this
question to, but I'm sure someone knows the answer), the USB-UIRT
hardware comes in two flavors : a non-56Khz-receiver unit, and a
56Khz-receiver unit for $5 more.

When would I need the 56KHz version ?  Is it that some components
use that range, and if so, is there any way to determine if my
components use that range ?

Thanks.

<home-automation@j...>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I'd like to have an xPL application that can send infrared
> > > codes with the USB-UIRT thingie...  The goal is to control a
> > > stereo receiver remotely.
> >
> > OK - shouldn't be a problem - we have quite a few USB UIRT users
> on here
> > that are using xPL.
> >
> > > I have two options : buy a $400 in-wall keypad that
> > > translates button presses to IR signals (Xantech, Niles,
> > > etc...), or, use software on my PC connected to an IR
emitter.

> > > I'm confident that I can figure out how the xPL software
> > > works, and that I'll be able to configure it to send the
> > > signals I want.
> > >
> > > But before I buy the USB-UIRT and start putting time into
> > > this, I'd like to know what kind of interface I'll be
getting
> > > with xPL.  It's all about WAF (wife acceptance factor) :-)
> >
> > None.
> >
> > You don't get an interface (i.e. a user interface) as such with
> the xPL
> > plug-in for the USB UIRT.
> > What you get is the ability to control the USB UIRT by sending
it
> xPL
> > messages.
> >
> > How you send those messages (i.e. the user interface bit) is
> entirely up
> > to you.
> >

> > > Remember, my goal is to control a stereo receiver.  I want
> > > be able to the the following signals to it : volume up,
> > > volume down, select source 1, select source 2.  That's it.
> > >
> > > With an in-wall keypad, it would be really intuitive and
easy
> use.
> > >
> > > On the PC (with xPL) though, what exactly will the interface
be ?

> > > Will the xPL app always be on (e.g. a service started at
each
> > > bootup), or will I need to double-click an app icon every
> > > time I'll want to control the stereo ?
> >
> > The xPL USB-UIRT app is usually configured to run at startup,
and
> stays
> > running. It puts an icon down in the system tray so you know
it's
> there.
> > Double-clicking on the icon brings up a form that is used for
> learning
> > infra-red codes so that the USB UIRT can transmit them, but
that's
> all
> > you get in the way of a user interface.
> >

> > > Will I get an icon on the taskbar to open the xPL control
> window ?
> > >
> > > Will I be able to have a window with, for example, four
> > > buttons labeled "Volume up", "Volume
down", "Source 1",
> > > "Source 2" (in other words, will the interface be
configurable) ?