Re: exec.basic - comments please

  • Subject: Re: exec.basic - comments please
  • From: "rleong1" <rleong1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:49:14 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Gregg Liming <gregg@l...> wrote:

> Quoting rleong1 (10/26/05 12:28 PM):
> > is the concern receiving an xpl message to execute an application
on a
> > remote pc?
> >
> > the sender of the message needs to know the path to the
application as
> > well as the name of the application.
>
> 1st blind guess:
>
> c:\windows\system32\format.com

sure, but this assumes the user has a rogue app sending xpl messages
on his network already or has somehow bridged to an infected network.
i don't see how this is any different than any virus/worm infecting a
pc.  all virus writers know where format.com is.  if someone's worried
about this, rename format.com.

like i said in my previous post, there a tons of remote exec apps out
there, but the user has to take certain precautions in securing his
network when any such app is used or even if it's not used.