RE: Re: Is xPL the ideal work-around? Need to access the LPT port from Mister House...

  • Subject: RE: Re: Is xPL the ideal work-around? Need to access the LPT port from Mister House...
  • From: "John B" <home-automation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:08:09 +0100

Hi Jack,

> John's xPL client will listen on the ethernet for commands &
> data to pass to the LPT port.

And here it is:
http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk/downloads/xplio/xplio.zip

Extract ZIP file and run Setup.msi.

Once installed, go into xPLHal Manager and look under xPL Devices ->
Awaiting Configuration.
You should see the johnb-io device listed there.
Double-click on it, change it's name (if you want) and click OK.

You should now be able to control your parallel port by sending a
command message like:

Control.basic
{
Device=888
Type=parallel
Current=255
}

This will set all bits high.

Regarding the format, I've opted for decimal by default, as a lot of
other xPL apps seem to have standardised on decimal, and there isn't
much out there using hex or binary.

I can easily add support for hex or binary in a future release if this
would be useful.

Let me know how you get on - I haven't been able to test this as I don't
have anything connected to my parallel port that I could use to test.

However, if you use an xPL monitor, you should see a control.confirm
message in response to the control.basic message that confirms that the
byte was sent.

HTH,

John