RE: plugin XML files

Hi Gerry,

I agree with all your suggested changes - I'll modify our big sample XML
document and add in these new optional tags.

I also think it's about time we posted that sample XML plug-in in the
official documentation area of xplproject.org.uk, so I'll do that as
well.

> > Yep - though due to changes in our own hosting arrangements, the
> > master plugins file will be moving to a new site shortly.
> > xPLHal will always try the backup mirror if it can't contact the
> > master, so users will stillbe able to download plugins -
> but it may be
> > more difficult to make updates to the master file.
>
> Here's a question -- can tools other than xPLHAL access that
> website that hosts the vendor plugin files?

I don't see why not. We currently have two hosting locations:

http://www.xplproject.org.uk/plugins.xml
http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk/support/xplhalweb/plugins.xml

xPLHal will try the main URL first (xplproject) and then the backup URL
if it can't connect to the main site.

I guess a better approach would be to randomly pick one of the URLs -
that way you even out the load.

The master plugins XML file just contains a list of every plug-in, with:
Name
Description
Url

Suggestions or improvements to the master file structure are always
welcome (though of course we need to remain backward compatible).

Regards,

John