Re: insteon/UPB

Howdy,

I've played with the Insteon stuff and agree that for a place with an
existing X10 based install, this has a lot to offer over stock X10 (just
the
reliability alone).

But if you are looking to put a new system in (or want features X10/Insteon
do not have), seriously consider UPB. UPB is a new design using new
technologies for controlling lights over the power line.  It's much faster
than X10, virtually immune to power line noise and each command sent is
confirmed by the receiver, so you always *know* that if you turned a light
on, it really is on.

The switches costs are pretty close (you can get UPB switches in quantity
(20-30) for about $55 USD each), but the technology is a major step
forward.
Not only is the underlying technology much more robust than X10, it has
two way commands (all commands sent to a device are then acknowledged by
that device) so you know if a command worked or not.  The switches respond
quickly and are very programmable (all with software on a PC -- you do not
have to ever visit the switch to change any settings -- even the
color/function of the switches LED pilot light).  Ramp rates, dimming
states, etc are all configurable as is the ability for any switch to launch
"scenes" or take other actions without a home controller having
to be in the
loop (it can be, but not 100% necessary).  If you do have home control
software, it can truly reflect the state of the switches (when people press
the switches on/off or dim them, they send updates to their state).

I've just recently started switching over my 70+ switch X10 based home (all
Leviton green line switches -- very nice X10 switches) for UPB switches
(HAI
and SimplyAutomated) and it's a huge change.  All the annoying problems
with
X10 (occasional misses) and switches themselves (guests never did get how
use the the X10 switches right) are resolved.

Just sharing this -- if someone is considering an investment in HA lighting
or updating from X10, UPB is definitely the wave of the future (in
powerline
controlled lighting, that is :-)

re: xPL -- I'm creating an UPB->xPL gateway right now I expect to
release soon.

Gerry
--
Gerry Duprey