Re: Re: Look ma, no hub?

  • Subject: Re: Re: Look ma, no hub?
  • From: Gerry Duprey <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:13:54 -0500

Howdy,

> I'm not intending to disturb the status quo.  I'm just to understand
why
> it is like it is.

That's a fair question -- it's rare that an answer like "because it
is!" is
enough for anyone (not that anyone here has said that).

But I think the points have been laid out here (and in the extensive email
discussions about this a few months ago and a year or so before that -- all
which is archived and available).  In short, the hub is something all xPL
apps can depend on and that leaves the app designer to not have to worry
about variables on a per-platform basis and lets them concentrate on
getting
on with coding.

You can make an argument for not having a hub of course.  But anyone could
make an argument for anything :-) After all, a protocol is just an
arbitrary
agreement a bunch of people come up with and as such, not everyone will
agree.

But the benefit of a common protocol and common way of doing things is we
don't have to do "special case" tests for what should be
core/common things.

Sorry if you're getting some heat, but I feel a that you are being a bit
contrary to your statement (not a lot, but a bit) as you keep pointing out
other ways to do it (I've found over the years that there are always
otherways to do anything :-)

xPL is an extremely simple, easy, powerful and extensible protocol and I
think that once the hub issue is settled in your mind, you're going to have
a lot of fun with it.

Welcome to the community (we're generally all very nice people, if not a
bit
passionate about our work --just like you).  I look forward to helping you
out and seeing whatever xPL apps you develop adding the the growing xPL
world.

Gerry
--
Gerry Duprey