Re: Re: Look ma, no hub?

On 11/17/05, Mark Hindess <xpl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> However, just for information, it is most common with multicast
> applications but I guess not many people are familiar with those
either!
> It is less common with broadcasts but works just as well on the many
BSD
> derived stacks that support it.  I'd be a little surprised if Windows
> doesn't support it.

It does not.  Or I haven't looked hard enough.

> If I understand correctly, the Windows "alternative" still
had the
> essential elements of a hub but simply spread the functionality
around?
> This sounds like a case of moving complexity from one application to
> many.

The "alternative" was an idea of me - mainly for the same reasons
you
mentioned before. It was implemented, and tried by a number of people.
Some encountered problems, some didn't.  My system ran smoothly for
months.  It was never fully clarified why it didn't work for some
people.  Yet these troubles did spark a lot of discussions here and it
was decided to drop the functionality.  Not only to avoid the possible
remaining bugs but also for simplicity's sake.  Please search the
archives and read some very interesting pro's and con's.
I do think that we are better of now, btw...

Cheers
Tom