RE: Re: xPLMediaNet Seems to Work!

  • Subject: RE: Re: xPLMediaNet Seems to Work!
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:36:06 -0000

> This is all very exciting :-)

Got it working properly now (though still got to sort tts, shoutcast, xpl,
and a few bits)

Clients now get saved and re-instated at boot up too.

> To play a DVD image, I have to first mount the ISO file as a
> drive using Daemon tools or Nero ImageDrive.  The I spawn a
> VideoLan client to play it, with xPL commands being converted
> to messages sent to VideoLan via its socket interface.
> If this were to be adapted for xPLMediaNet, would the ISO
> mounting part be best implemented as source module?  Or
> should it be a transcoder - converting the request for an ISO
> into a simulated disk drive.  I know it may seem odd to think
> of it as a transcoder, but I wondered if it is actually a better fit?

I think iso mounting might actually be either a support module of a source,
or a core module (or a transcoder) depending on how the rest of it is
implemented...

The structure of module loading is like this:

Core modules - loaded at startup

Source Modules - loaded at startup
Source Support Modules - loaded at startup (if source enabled)

Client Modules - loaded per detected client
Client Support Modules - loaded at startup (if client enabled)

Transcoder Modules - loaded when requested
Transcoder Support Modules - loaded at startup (if Transcoder
enabled)

Interface Modules - loaded at startup
Interface Support Modules - loaded at startup (if Interface enabled)

Utility Modules - loaded at startup

Core/Utility/Support modules are self-contained in general

i.e. they provide fixed services like NFS, DHCP

Though the trio client support module talks to the rio client module via a
pointer from the core

I would think the ISO mounting might be a utlity module (as it could have
other uses) and be controlled with it's own self-contained xpl listener?

If you can post exactly how it all works (e.g. I'm not sure if vlan will be
playing the file, or streaming it out) we can put a plan together?

Regards
Tony