Re: xplphone problems

  • Subject: Re: xplphone problems
  • From: "fgomez2865" <fgomez2865@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:05:49 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Tony Tofts" <tony@x> wrote:
> > I have found also that it is a soft modem (that I have to admit I
do
> > not know what are the implications of this).
>
> A soft modem is probably (though I'm not sure) like a winmodem in
that it's
> software driven rather than pure hardware
>
> I doubt it supports voice
>
> > a) buy an external modem with voice support (inf file included).
In
> > this case which one ?
>
> Easiest, but I bought a usr/3com message modem and still had to
write my own
> inf!
>
> > b) Copy the entries from other inf file and see what happens.
> > Very small options that this will work ...
>
> Highly unlikely it'll work as I don't think the inf texts are a
defined
> standard for this
>
> > c) Try to find the specs and build the inf file. Difficult to
find
the
> > specs , and need much time to understand all the options.
>
> See above ref soft modems
>
> > Could you recommend any of these options or suggest other ?
>
> I have only tested xplphone with my 3com message modem, so I don't
know what
> other modems it works with
>
> Please remember that xplphone is still a program under development,
and I
> can't say it will work for you properly (I have an oustanding issue
to look
> at for Andy, I think, where he's seen it grab 100% cpu) and I
currently
> don't have time to deal with any issues that might come up.
>
> Unless you have a modem already that could be used, I wouldn't
particularly
> recommend at this time buying another to use with an application
(xplphone)
> that might not do what you require. If you have other uses for the
modem
> then it might be a different matter.
>
> Currently I don't use the app myself, and due to licensing
restrictions with
> a 3rd party dll I can't release the source code for this app for
others to
> work on
>
> Regards
> Tony

First of all I want to thank you again for your support.

We have been lucky in that we have tried with another modem (the
Conceptronic 56UT USB FAXMOD) and it works ! . We have made some
preliminary tests and it seems it works quite well!. The modem is a
voice modem and the corresponding inf file does support the voice
capabilities, so it was strightforward to put xplphone to work.

The only small remaining problem is that, when it dials up, there is
no way of knowing if the phone called is busy or not. If I understood
well it is related with the following comment contained in the readme
file:

"Important: Most modems send TAPI the connect status as soon as they
open the line, and therefore xpl_phone cannot tell when the line has
been answered. This makes the use of phone.call very limited.
Personally I'll probably use it only for turning on/off call divert.
However some clever scripting with delay= and command=abort and using
dtmf will allow calls to be made. And it could be used, for example,
as a dialler."

In relation to this , just a few final questions:

Does somebody know if there is some way of instructing the phone (AT
configuration command) to send the connect status to the TAPI layer,
but only in the case that the called phone answers the call ?
I assume that will depend on the modem but if you know of some way of
doing it for other modem I would really appreciate.

In which mode (status message, like CONNECT ?, hardware signal?) does
the phone instruct the TAPI layer about the connection status ?

I do not understand very well how the use of delay and abort can be
used to do calls, since the delay will not allow us to know if the
phone is busy and therefore the delay will only postpone the problem.

Thanks again to all of you that answered, specially to Tony Tofts.

Fernando Gomez