RE: dchp with xplrionet

  • Subject: RE: dchp with xplrionet
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:58:09 +0100

> My rionet server is running xp home. I'd be happy to have it
> act as the dhcp server for the whole net... any thoughts on a
> dhcp server that would run under xp home and allow me to
> specify the boot location for the rio image?

Hi Jim,

The dhcp to the rio doesn't need to specify a boot image location, all the
rio needs to get is an ip address in the same subnet as the pc running
xplrionet

Once the rio has a valid ip address it sends out a discovery udp packet,
rio
specific, which the music server responds to with another udp packet which
tells the rio where the server is and what ports to use to mount the image
(ssdp/portmap/mount/nfs style processes actually handle all this).

In theory you would use dhcp options bootfile="/boot"
hostname="mercury"
rootpath="/export/mercury"

But in practice these are _not_ required. My own dhcp (I use ms dhcp on
2003) specifies no options, and works 100% reliably.

It also works fine if I turn off my dhcp and enable the router (vigor2600g)
dhcp

When I was using xpl pro I used a shareware dhcp server, but can't remember
the name

However, tftpd32 (a free tftp server) apparently now contains a dhcp server
you could try http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ if you
like

If you have no joy, please install ethereal and snoop an attempted rio boot
and send me the log offlist and I'll take a look for you

Is it me, or do all the problems in this area only seem to happen to users
of xp home?

Regards
Tony