Re: dchp with xplrionet

  • Subject: Re: dchp with xplrionet
  • From: "timmysaw2" <timmysaw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 04:22:48 -0000

Well, I'm not the expert on this, but have had a fair share of
experience with it...

My understanding is that you can only successfully have one DHCP
server on the network. More than that and nothing works right. Like
you, I've been trying to find a DHCP server for XP Home, but alas,
nothing seems to fit the bill.

I have tried various configurations of xPLRioNet serving addresses
or my access points/routers/modem serving addresses, but nothing
seems to consistently work for me the way I want.

As I understand it, the xPLRioNet DCHP server only serves addresses
to Rio devices--which puts the balance of my network into Static-
mode, a less than ideal situation for me for various reasons...but
this has been my most stable configuration. The problem is that
everything except the Rio's have to be staticly assigned.

Alternately, if I run a standalone DHCP service (via the router/AP)
then my Rio's get overlooked or the assignment takes too long for
them to successfully secure an address.

Either way, I've been in a bit of a bind trying to keep things
talking. Alas, I'm still not settled on how to sort this out.

Best regards,
Tim

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "jamesbresee" <jim.bresee@a...>
wrote:
> When I power up the rio and it asks for an address, the router
serves
> it first, and it never finds the xplrionet server to get its boot
image.
This sounds like it never got an address on the same subnet.
xPLRioNet is usually quite good about serving boot image request
assuming the Rio gets a valid IP in the correct subnet.

> My rionet server is running xp home. I'd be happy to have it act
as the
> dhcp server for the whole net... any thoughts on a dhcp server
that
> would run under xp home and allow me to specify the boot location
for
> the rio image?
If you find one, please let me know. I'd love to find something that
works. I've tried a few alternatives from Tucows and elsewhere, but
nothing freeware that I've tried seems to work.